Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Bone Crusher – Hiring the Expert

Post without pictures aren't very fun, sorry :)

Once I looked into the process of moving Bone Crusher to Australia, I quickly realized I was no expert and I needed one stat. There was no way I was going to feel comfortable doing this on my own. I'm worried enough about him being in the cargo hold of the plane, I don't want to worry about not checking the right box on a form or something completely stupid like that (which happens)! My worst fear was him getting to Australia and him getting sent him back, yikes. Deep breaths.

There are a ton of pet transporter companies out there. Do your research, I conversed with some strange people out there. I researched reviews/emailed about fifteen companies and did phone interviews with four. One of my front runners on paper turned out to be a total weirdo over the phone. I asked them all pretty standard questions. My decision makers boiled down to:

  1. Overall trust and liking the person - Nathan @ Pacific Pet Transport is great! I noticed in most of my conversations there was a lot of trash talking other companies - not with PPT. That bothered me and turned me off, I wasn't calling to get an assessment of your competitors, I really just want to know what you do well. 
  2. Experience shipping to Australia - I went with Pacific Pet Transport, they only ship to NZ and Australia and do it a lot so I felt very confident with them.  
  3. Ownership of final paperwork and confirming/getting results from the Vet 
  4. How they handled my strange question about what happens if, God forbid, Bone Crusher dies in the process. I know its rare and that it sounds really morbid and I hated asking/thinking about it, but what if it did happen? I needed to know it would be handled respectfully and what exactly would happen. One provider told me it wasn't possible. Well that's just not true...that they don't plan for it because it would never happen to their company. Really? Dummy, it could happen and not having a plan wouldn't prevent it. Needless to say I did not go with them. 

Anyway, use your head in selecting someone you feel comfortable with and has experience, but hire someone!

In my online searching there were a few things that made me smile that are different - the date, I keep writing the wrong date. I'll get used to dd/mm/yyyy soon. In the online system the US is also listed at the United States not United States. That made me laugh a little and think of all those annoying Ohio State fans that say THE Ohio State University.

Here are what some of the instruction screens on the process:
The online calculator gives you a timeline based on your county of origin and export date. 

It has a ton of details, but I think it still confusing...easy to miss something.

1 comment:

  1. You will get used to writing the date that way, and eventually you will think it's weird to write it the other way. It's like the military!

    ReplyDelete