Monday, April 21, 2014

Bone Crusher - Transport Crate

You just have to embrace that if you are moving your dog oversees they are traveling in the cargo hold of the plane and they will be in there crate for a LONG time, a very long time. No way around it, unless you are legally blind, glaucoma doesn’t count, I have it and I checked. No dice.

It took me a bit to get past this hurdle, but at the end of the day, there is nothing you can do about it just is what it is. On the advice of our pet transport company and just logic we purchased BCs travel crate 6 months out to start getting him used to it.

Selecting a crate – there are a lot out there. We went off the recommendation of our pet transporter and purchased a PetMate Sky Kennel (we found it on prime for $85, we are going to miss prime!). We measured Bone Crusher and they told us the crate size required by the airline based on his size and breed. Since he is a snub nosed breed, he needs a bigger crate.  This thing is not small, it takes up some serious real estate in our apartment! But when I think of him spending 20 hours in it, I realize how small it really is…


Anytime our apartment buzzer rings and a box arrives BC gets super excited. He loves the FedEx guy! 

T-Rex helping unpack the most recent soap.com order
The massive box with his crate arrived (it was almost as big as me) and I immediately assembled the crate. Mistake. All he wanted to do was stand on top of the crate. He does that when Gumbo visits, so I should have known better. 

Seriously, poor Gumbo!

So we disassembled the crate and now have the top with pillows in our room and the bottom with his blanket in the living room. For the last two weeks we have given him heaps (starting my Aussie speak already) of treats to “take it to the house.” He definitely likes the house and hangs out in there. 

 
Take it to the HOUSE

Next up adding to roof, then the door. As longs as there are treats I am sure he will still love it!

There are so many little things to plan for, I kind of look at it like a fun puzzle. Chris and I are taking a road trip and Bone Crusher will be in Arizona with my Mom. We have to get the travel crate to AZ since he is traveling in the cabin of the airline with her and the crate is too big for checked baggage. So I saved the massive box and will ship it to AZ. Hopefully planning for these little things will make it easier in the end, we shall see!  

No comments:

Post a Comment