Friday, October 31, 2014

Museum of Contemporary Art

I've mentioned it before, but there are a ton of museums in Sydney and for the most part they are free!  Right next to the harbor bridge is the museum of Contemporary Art.


I was lucky enough to go when there were two visiting exhibits - contemporary aboriginal art and young Australian breakout artists. The former I can't get enough of; the later was interesting, but I just don't get some of it, you will see why. The aboriginal art is so colorful and there is so much to look at from far and up close.


Here is a close up shot of this painting, its a complex web of tiny dots on top of dots.


This painting was laid out on the floor. It is depicting traditional landscape with the modern world coming in with cars.


Here is an up close of a simple painting. Even the black background are dots. Its amazing the time and detail that goes into these!


And now on to the young Australian artist exhibit. Ummmm, what? I mean I get it, kind of, but why? Grandma's of the next generation will start making quilts like these as family heirlooms.


Again, why? This "quilt" had to have taken some serious time, but it is seriously strange. I bet the artist is a preppy blond girl.


 And this, art. Some people just don't get it.


The permanent portion of the museum has a lot of fun and thought provoking exhibits. I like this superman, but it's a woman!


This one made me laugh. I don't think Americans would hang something like this in their museums, I could be wrong.


I would definitely recommend stopping by this museum when you are exploring the city!  

No comments:

Post a Comment