Friday, October 31, 2014

Sculpture by the Sea

I've been frequenting museums while I still have some free time. (Did I mention yet that I have a job?!?!?!?! I start 24/11!) Most museums here are free, if there is a pay portion it is generally a special exhibition. The culture geared toward learning and making museums available to everyone is pretty incredible.  

Currently the event Sculpture by the Sea is happening in Sydney near Bondi, one of the famous Sydney beaches (did I mention it is FREE). We had heard about the event from many different Australians and it sounded cool, but I didn't realize just how amazing it really was until I experienced it for myself. If you haven't planned a trip and you want to visit us, I would recommend this time next year - its late spring so the weather is beautiful and if your visit coincides with this event you will have a great Sydney experience! 

There are over 100 sculptures along the coast between Bondi and Tamarama beaches. Its about a 2 km (a little more than a mile) stretch. The walk is beautiful on its own, but add the thought provoking and beautiful sculptures and its stunning. 

The start of the walk, The Iceburg's at Bondi

I'll post some of the photos I took here, but do your self a favour and google image search "Sculpture by the Sea Bondi" and see some of the previous years works - melting ice cream truck, massive toothpaste tube, faucet flowing into the ocean - the creativity is pretty amazing. 

These were my favourites. I was so into this one that I didn't even really focus on taking a photo. The wood it is carved out of is massive. I have a hard time imagining the amount of work that went into completing this. 


This one was also beautiful. Walking around it the reflection would change. The circle actually changes directions and there is other unpolished detail in the closer photo.  



I had seen pictures of this one online before I saw it in person. It reminded me of a slinky. As you walk around it, you see a new and different sculpture.  




This is the perfect place for this wooden whale.


I almost didn't see this peacock. It almost blends in with the bright sun. Its tucked in a tiny corner of Tamarama beach. My Grandma used to have peacocks, so I of course know my family will love this one. 
 

Now on to the experience. This is an overview picture toward the end of the walk toward Tamarama beach. You can see just how many sculptures there are.  


I love this rhino on the beach. 


This is a fan favorite. A big fry pan that really makes you think about what all those bronzed beach goers are doing frying in the sun. Its pretty cool.  


My 10 year old humor loves what number this older man is going to represent :)



Looking though this sculpture you can see the massive rainbow sculpture at the front of the beach. 



I like this one, I wanted to love it, but I just couldn't. I do think it is creative and funny. Its made of lipstick. 



Which way is the horse going???


I was talking to a staff member and these dudes were one of his favourites. The sculpture is called "what you looking at" but we think it should be called "bogans." It makes me laugh too. 


This one was also really cool. Its a massive rock cut into pieces and polished in some areas. 


So simple, but beautiful.


I love this one - the saltwater pools are everywhere in Sydney and so Aussie (at least I think they are). 


There is one stretch that has these massive piles of colorful trash. These are bottle caps all strung together with other trash and filled with trash also. It really makes you think. 


This sculpture sits right on the point looking out across the ocean. I am sure it is beautiful at night, sunrise and sunset. 


Last one, these are everywhere on the side of a cliff. There is something to look at every time you turn a corner.  


I'll definitely be going again so that Chris can see it. I think I might try to get out there for sunrise one morning - 6 am yikes, but I feel like I need to experience a sunrise at the beach before I start working and why not see this again also.

I hope the artists and organizers know how special this event is! 

No comments:

Post a Comment