Friday, July 18, 2014

Road Trip - Day 21 & 22: New Orleans, LA

I have to say that New Orleans has been one of the biggest surprises of the trip yet – Chris and I both seemed to be doing everything to avoid being in NOLA for more than one night, but everyone we talked to basically gushed over NOLA, so we caved and booked 2 nights the day before we arrived. Well, I am glad we didn’t go with our gut, I have a new application and love for this city! 

We focused on doing nothing either of us had done in NOLA before, except late night the first night we went to the patio at Pat O’Briens for a hurricane. As we arrived the table next to us was leaving and left 8 hurricane glasses on the table – unbeknownst to us, each glass can be turned in for $3 cash at the bar. Our server asked me to follow her to the counter, which I thought was weird, but I did, she handed me $24, which paid for our drinks. Off to a great start! I think it will be my last hurricane, holy sugar and cough syrup taste. Thanks Toni and random drunk people!

We had the full day to explore and it was out best food day yet! 

Started with Cafe Du Monde
Then we walked around the Garden district for a few hours and worked up a serious appetite. 

Old cemetary in the middle of the Garden District  
This was one of the really cool old houses in the Garden District. The fence was commissioned by the husband for his wife. She was from Iowa and missed so he put in corn fields for her. Sweet of him, but who did she miss Iowa???
Notice the corn fence
We walked back toward the French Quarter to Cochan, Donald Link's restaurant. It was amazing, go here if you are in NOLA! 

The wood fired oysters and cajun shrimp - seriously amazing!
We walked back to the hotel and passed this little Aussie bar, it was closed otherwise we would have had to have a drink!


That night we had dinner at Jacques Imo’s Cafe. Its a drive and in a pretty dumpy building, but the food is amazing! It sounds strange, but you have to order the Alligator Cheesecake, seriously it was delicious! Our server, Phil, was also awesome. Probably the best service I have had in a while!


If you go to NOLA – replicate our day and you will be sure to have an awesome time! Best food day yet, I don't think we will be topping it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment